Notes from the Nurse
Letter from the SFE Health Office
The following are general guidelines to facilitate communication between parents and school health professionals relating to health issues.
1. If your child has a temperature greater than 100 degrees, please keep your child at home.
2. If your child vomits during the night or the morning of school, please keep him/her at home.
3. If your child has an injury, please forward a note from the health care provider indicating any activity restrictions or use of assistive devices such as crutches. If your child cannot participate in physical education (per medical note) he/she will need a clearance note from the health care provider in order to return to physical education/sports activity. Please do not send your child to school with crutches unless directed by a health care provider.
4. If your child is hospitalized for an illness (psychiatric or medical), a confidential summary from the discharging health care professional would be appreciated. Recommendations for your child might be made by the discharging professional in the summary. These recommendations will help us determine the accommodations for his/her academic, emotional, and physical needs your child may require upon his/her return.
5. If your child needs to take scheduled medications at school, please be sure to provide a doctor’s note (name of medication, dose, route, approximate time, and frequency) and the updated original bottle from the medication prescribed. Medication orders must be renewed each year. Medications must also be delivered by an adult not the student. Please be advised that morning doses of any medications are the responsibility of the parent.
6. If your child needs emergency medication such as an epipen or an inhaler it is preferred that these medications are kept in the nurse’s office for availability and safety. A doctor’s order identifying the child requiring said medication must be filed in the health office whether it is kept in health office or self-carried.
7. IF YOUR CHILD WILL BE OUT OF SCHOOL FOR 3 DAYS OR MORE, or has a change in health please contact the School Nurse.